Some of you may think, is it that time of year again already?! Dassault Systèmes has been busy rolling out the latest CATIA 3DEXPERIENCE 2017x release, but it has not forgotten its CATIA V5 companion.
Dassault Systèmes have finally released CATIA V5-6R2017 (which most of you may prefer to call it V5R27) – and yes, it’s compatible with Windows 10! The “-6” represents its compatibility with ENOVIA 3DEXPERIENCE R2017x (if you want to learn more about DS brands, read our blog post “CATIA? DELMIA? EXALEAD? What do these brands actually mean?“)
While many of our customers are choosing to upgrade to the latest 3DEXPERIENCE R2017x, and new customers are selecting us as their partner of choice for their upgrade to 3DEXPERIENCE platform as a result of our technical lead in the discipline, some customers are still choosing to stay with CATIA V5. This isn’t a problem, as Dassault Systèmes are showing continuing investment in CATIA V5 with their dedication being shown with their latest release, CATIA V5-6R2017!
This blog post will explain everything you need to know about CATIA V5-6R2017; from hardware requirements, to software requirements and finishing with a handful of my favourite latest additions. Of course, the latest release also is bundled with fixes that may have been reported in previous releases of V5.
CATIA V5-6R2017 only comes as a 64bit (since CATIA V5-6R2016 (aka V5R26)), therefore it is only compatible with 64bit (x64) operating systems. These include:
- Microsoft Windows 64bit
- 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise/Professional Edition SP1
- 64-bit Windows 8.1 Desktop Enterprise/Professional Edition RTM
- 64-bit Windows 10 Desktop Enterprise/Professional Edition 1507
- IBM AIX
- AIX 7.1
Hardware requirements are always changing with the addition of more powerful CAD workstations. For a full up to date list of the latest compatible hardware, take a look at Dassault Systèmes’ list of supported hardware.
For more information on supported hardware & software for CATIA V5-6R2017, download the following PDF: CATIA V5-6R2017 Hardware Software Requirements.
Licensing requirements are often overlooked. If you are using concurrent licenses (server based), the Dassault Systemés License Server (DSLS) administration tool will also need to be upgraded to DSLS R2017x Version 6.419.0 or above.
The latest can always be found on our website, (DSLS) Installation.
What’s New in CATIA V5-6R2017 (V5R27)?
Besides fixes, below are a handful of my favourite additions. For a full list of enhancements, take a look at the information at bottom of this blog post.
- Creating Shafts/Grooves: You can now define the various limits like Up to next, Up to last, Up to plane, or Up to surface while creating a shaft or groove.
- Creating Remove Face Features: The faces causing errors while using the Remove Face command are now highlighted and labelled.
- Creating 3D Tags: You can create 3D tags on geometrical features by selecting points or vertices as leader points.
- Creating Offset Surfaces: You can now automatically compute and remove the tricky faces in an offset feature.
More Information on Product Enhancements: